Assange Case, Assange Extradition Hearing, Assange Extradition Trial, Craig Murray, Daily Maverick, Declassified UK, Julian Assange (b. Julian Paul Hawkins 1971)
LUMPENPROLETARIAT—Only a handful of witnesses have been allowed to enter the Old Bailey in London to witness the abomination of justice being carried out by the U.S. prosecution and U.K. Judge Vanessa Baraitser. Even Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders have been excluded. Former ambassador Craig Murray is one individual, who has been providing detailed reports from inside the gallery of the Old Bailey.
As a stop-gap pending publication of his notes from the last day of the hearings, Murray has shared this interesting Declassified UK article about a key Julian Assange prosecution witness, who appears to be a paid shill for the U.S. and U.K. militaries, and which presents obvious conflicts of interest. The more we learn about the Julian Assange case, it seems, the more we learn that boldfaced injustice is being perpetrated against Assange and against the rule of law.
DECLASSIFIED UK—[10/2/20] One of the US prosecution’s key medical witnesses in the Julian Assange hearing, who claimed that Assange’s risk of suicide is ‘manageable’ if extradited to the US, works for an academic institute that is funded by the UK Ministry of Defence and linked to the US Department of Defence, it can be revealed.
- US prosecution witness works at Institute of Psychiatry funded by UK military, although is not personally funded by it.
- Witness leads research group which works “in collaboration” with centre set up with US Department of Defence funding.
- He co-leads the group with academic whose work is often funded by UK military.
- Institute’s partner department is closely linked to the Anglo-American military and intelligence communities, and created a course for British intelligence officers on behalf of the UK government.
- Responding to Declassified, witness says: “I had no conflicts [of interest] to declare.”
- Revelations come following end of Old Bailey hearing on Assange’s US extradition.
Learn more at DAILY MAVERICK/DECLASSIFIED UK.
In Naomi Wolf’s famous 2007 book, The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot, she described various steps taken by authoritarian governments to close open societies. We have been witnessing all of them in the U.S., U.K., and other regions of the US/NATO empire. In the US, we see the following acts of state (indented bullet points), as examples of the authoritarian government behaviors outlined by Naomi Wolf (main bullet points):
- invoke an internal and external threat
- “Reds”/”Union Organizers”, pre-1950s
- “Soviets”, circa 1950s-1980s
- “terrorists” and/or dissidents, circa 1990s
- “terrorism”, circa late 1990s
- “terror”, post-9/11
- “enemy combatants”, post-9/11
- “China”, post-Obama administration’s Asia-Pacific Pivot
- “anarchist rioters”, post-Occupy Wall Street
- “anarchist rioters”, post-Black Lives Matter
- “anarchist jurisdictions”, post-2020 lockdown/BLM protests
- “protestors”, possibly invoked as a threat in the future…
- establish secret prisons
- develop a paramilitary force
- Blackwater, et al
- surveil ordinary citizens
- post-9/11 domestic surveillance, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden revelations, etc.
- surveillance capitalism
- infiltrate citizens’ groups
- COINTELPRO, etc.
- arbitrarily detain and release citizens
- common practice by police at political demonstrations, e.g., Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, etc.
- target key individuals
- whistleblowers, dissidents, Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, Mumia Abu Jamal, Leonard Peltier, Daniel Ellsburg, et al.
- restrict the press
- corporate consolidation and control of mass media
- Julian Assange extradition hearings held behind closed doors with restricted freedom of the press
- cast criticism as “espionage” and dissent as “treason”
- Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, et al.
- subvert the rule of law
- PATRIOT Act
- Obama administration NDAA (Section 1021), extraordinary rendition, indefinite detention, and suspension of habeas corpus
- U.S. Department of Justice designates protest areas “anarchist jurisdictions” during 2020 Black Lives Matter protests, restricts First Amendment activity
- Sham extradition hearings for Julian Assange in U.K. based on U.S. inquisition charges
- Key Assange prosecution witness is part of academic cluster which has received millions of pounds from UK and US militaries
[4 OCT 2020]
[Last modified at 15:23 PDT on 5 OCT 2020]