Here are some notable readings worthy of our critical attention, time, and consideration, listed by title:
- Mosler, Warren. The 7 Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy. 2010. Valance Co Inc 7 AUG 2013 ISBN-10: 0692009590 ISBN-13: 978-0692009598 [Key MMT text.]
- Griffin, David Ray. 9/11 Ten Years Later: When State Crimes Against Democracy Succeed. [R0]
- Giroux, Henry. America At War With Itself. 2016.
- Pepper, William. An Act of State. 2003. Attorney for the King Family…
- Galbraith, John Kenneth. The Affluent Society. 1958. Mariner Books; 40 Anv Sub edition 15 OCT 1998 ISBN-10: 0395925002 ISBN-13: 978-0395925003 [R0]
- Gregg, Melissa (editor) and Gregory J. Siegworth (editor). The Affect Theory Reader. Duke University Press Books (12 NOV 2010) [R0]
- Fraser, Steve. The Age of Acquiescence: The Life and Death of American Resistance to Organized Wealth and Power. [R0]
- Prins, Nomi. All the President’s Bankers: The Hidden Alliances That Drive American Power. [R0]
- Scott, Peter Dale. The American Deep State: Wall Street, Big Oil, and the Attack On U.S. Democracy (War and Peace Library series). 2014. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers 30 OCT 2014 ISBN-10: 1442214244 ISBN-13: 978-1442214248 [R0] [preview]
- Ryan, Kevin Robert. Another Nineteen: Investigating Legitimate 9/11 Suspects. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform 14 JUN 2013 ISBN-10: 1489507833 ISBN-13: 978-1489507839 [R0]
- Mises, Ludwig von. The Anti-Capitalistic Mentality. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Scahill, Jeremy, the staff of The Intercept, with Edward Snowden (foreword) and Glenn Greenwald (afterword). The Assassination Complex: Inside the Government’s Secret Drone Warfare Program. 2016. Simon & Schuster 3 MAY 2016 ISBN-10: 1501144138 ISBN-13: 978-1501144134
- Haas, Jeffrey. The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther. 2009. Chicago Review Press 1 APR 2011 ISBN: 1569763658, 9781569763650 ISBN-10: 1569767092 ISBN-13: 978-1569767092 [R0]
- Dinges, John. Assassination on Embassy Row (Pantheon 1980). 1980. With Saul Landau, on Orlando Letelier’s murder; finalist for the Edgar Allan Poe Award 1981 for “Best Fact Crime”. [R0]
- X, Malcolm & Haley, Alex. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. 29 OCT 1965.
- Chang, Ha-Joon. Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism. 2008.
- MacLeod, Alan. Bad News From Venezuela: Twenty Years of Fake News and Misreporting. 2020. Routledge. [R0]
- Whitehead. Battlefield America: The War On the American People. 2015. [R0; via Guns and Butter]
- Wolf, Naomi. The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women, With a New Introduction by the Author. 1991. Harper Perennial. 2002; 1991. ISBN: 0-06-051218-0 (pbk) ISBN: 0-06-051218-7
- Chomsky, Noam. Because We Say So.
- Rall, Ted. Bernie. 2016. Seven Stories Press. 19 JAN 2016 ISBN-10: 1609806980 ISBN-13: 978-1609806989
- Black, William K. The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is To Own One: How Corporate Executives and Politicians Looted the S&L Industry. 2005. University of Texas Press, First Edition, 1 APR 2005. University of Texas Press, Updated Edition edition, 15 JAN 2014. ISBN-10: 0292754183 ISBN-13: 978-0292754188
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi. Between the World and Me. 2015. [R0]
- Ogbar, Jeffrey O.G.. Black Power: Radical Politics and African American Identity (Reconfiguring American Political History). 2005. Johns Hopkins University Press; 50600th edition 5 MAY 2005. ISBN-10: 0801882753 ISBN-13: 978-0801882753 [R0] [This book seems to cite Bobby McCall, a former Black Panther and father of rapper Money-B.]
- Fanon, Frantz. Black Skin, White Masks.
- Harvey, David. A Brief History of Neoliberalism.
- Talbot, David. Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years. [R0]
- Rodriguez, Richard. Brown: The Last Discovery of America. 25 MAR 2003
- Hudson, Michael. The Bubble and Beyond.
- Federici, Silvia. Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body, and Primitive Accumulation. [R0]
- Piketty, Thomas (translated by Arthur Goldhammer). Capital in the Twenty-First Century. 2014. Belknap Press (15 APR 2014) ISBN-10: 067443000X ISBN-13: 978-0674430006 [R0]
- Marx, Karl. Capital: A Critical Analysis of Political Economy, Vol. I, Unabridged. Frederick Engels, editor. Samuel Moore, Edward Aveling, trans. (1967; 2003) International Publishers, N.Y. New World Paperbacks. ISBN: 0-71780621-9 [This book deserves to be required reading in secondary schools. Volumes II and III deserve to be included as part of the teaching standards for higher education. The “New World” edition was recommended by my colleagues at UMKC, who are experts on Marx’s work.]
- Marx, Karl. Capital: A Critique of Political Economy, Vol. I. The Process of Capitalist Production. Frederick Engels, Ernest Untermann, eds. Samuel Moore, Edward Aveling, trans. 1906. Library of Economics and Liberty. Retrieved March 4, 2016 from the World Wide Web: http://www.econlib.org/library/YPDBooks/Marx/mrxCpA.html
- Friedman, Milton. Capitalism and Freedom. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Benson, P., & Kirsch, S.. (2010). Capitalism and the Politics of Resignation. Current Anthropology, 51(4), 459–486. http://doi.org/10.1086/653091 Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/653091
- Wolff, Richard D. Capitalism Hits the Fan: The Global Economic Meltdown and What To Do About It.
- Joseph, Schumpeter. Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy (Third Edition). [NB: This is a neoclassical/quasi-right-wing perspective.]
- Simon, George. Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age. [interview]
- Jones, Owen. Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class. 2016. Foyles. [Foyles clip] [Amazon]
- Smart, Teresa and Joseph Hanlon. Chickens and Beer: A recipe for agricultural growth in Mozambique. 2014.
- Royce, Edward. Classical Social Theory and Modern Society: Marx, Durkheim, Weber. [R0]
- Bacon, David. The children of NAFTA: labor wars on the U.S./Mexico border. 2003
- Diamond, Jared. Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.
- McCartin, Joseph A. Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike That Changed America. [R0]
- Rothstein, Richard. The Color of Law: The Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. (2 MAY 2017)
- Paine, Thomas. Common Sense. 1776.
- Marx, Karl and Friedrich Engels. The Communist Manifesto.
- Harvey, David. A Companion to Marx’s Capital.
- Brown, Elaine. The Condemnation of Little B.: New Age Racism. 2003. [Amazon] [related link]
- Dinges, John. The Condor Years: How Pinochet and his Allies Brought Terrorism to Three Continents. 2003. The New Press 2003. Regarding Operation Condor.
- Horne, Gerald. Confronting Black Jacobins. [R0] [Against the Grain feature?]
- Lumumba, Patrice. Congo, my country. (1 JAN 1962) ASIN : B0006AY1S6 [reading list]
- Goldwater, Barry Morris. The Conscience of a Conservative. [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.] [R0]
- Wolff, Richard D. and Stephen A. Resnick. Contending Economic Theories: Neoclassical, Keynesian, and Marxian. 2012. MIT Press (7 SEP 2012) ISBN-10: 0262517833 ISBN-13: 978-0262517836 [R0]
- Blakeley, Grace. The Corona Crash: How the Pandemic Will Change Capitalism. (October 2020) Verso.
- Sennet, Richard. The Corrosion of Character: The Personal Consequences of Work in the New Capitalism (1st Edition). W. W. Norton & Company; 1 edition 17 JAN 2000.
- Horne, Gerald. The Counter-Revolution of 1776. [R0]
- Said, Edward. Culture and Imperialism.
- Rodriguez, Richard. Darling: A Spiritual Autobiography. (26 AUG 2014) [R0]
- Webb, Gary. Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion. 1998. [This book deserves to be part of the teaching standards in secondary schools and higher education, given its importance to civic engagement, participation in the democratic process, the preservation of the rule of law, and the preservation of an open society.]
- Mayer, Jane. Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right. 2016. Doubleday (19 JAN 2016) ISBN-10: 0385535597 ISBN-13: 978-0385535595 [R0]
- Mayer, Jane. The Dark Side: How the War on Terror Turned Into A War On American Ideals. [R0]
- Rodriguez, Richard. Days of Obligation: An Argument With My Mexican Father.
- Hedges, Chris. The Death of the Liberal Class.
- Graeber, David. Debt: The First 5,000 Years. 2011.
- Keen, Steve. Debunking Economics: The Naked Emperor Dethroned? (Revised and Expanded Edition). 2001 (First Edition). 2011 (Second Edition). Zed Books (2nd Edition, 1 SEP 2011) ISBN-10: 1848139926 ISBN-13: 978-1848139923
- Lofgren, Mike. The Deep State: The Fall of the Constitution and the Rise of a Shadow Government. 2016. Viking (5 JAN 2016) ISBN-10: 0525428348 ISBN-13: 978-0525428343 [R0]
- Wolff, Richard D. Democracy At Work: A Cure for Capitalism.
- Tocqueville, Alexis de (full name: Alexis-Charles-Henri Clérel de Tocqueville). Democracy in America.
- Talbot, David. The Devil’s Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America’s Secret Government. 2015. Harper (13 OCT 2015) ISBN-10: 0062276166 ISBN-13: 978-0062276162 [This book deserves to be part of the teaching standards in secondary schools and higher education, given its importance to civic engagement, participation in the democratic process, the preservation of the rule of law, and the preservation of an open society.]
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. Does Capitalism Have a Future? 2013. [R0] [excerpt]
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher. Dred: A Tale of the Dismal Swamp. 1856.
- Arena, John. Driven From New Orleans: How Non-Profits Betray Public Housing and Promote Privatization. 2012. [R0, via Against the Grain]
- Wolff, Richard D. Economics: Marxian Versus Neoclassical. [R0]
- Murray, Michael J. Employment Guarantee Schemes: Job Creation and Guarantee Policy in Developing Countries and Emerging Markets. 2013. 17 MAY 2013 [Key MMT text.]
- Wolf, Naomi. The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. 2007. Chelsea Green Publishing. ISBN: 978-1-933392-79-0
- Minsky, Hyman. Ending Poverty: Jobs, Not Welfare. 2013. [Key MMT text.]
- Wright, Erik Olin. Envisioning Real Utopias. [R0]
- Ali, Tariq. The Extreme Centre: A Warning. [R0]
- Hayek, Friedrich August von. The Fatal Conceit: The Errors of Socialism. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Featherstone, Liza. False Choices: The Faux Feminism of Hillary Rodham Clinton. [R0]
- Hamilton, Alexander. The Federalist Papers. [R0]
- Grandin, Greg. Fordlandia: The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford’s Forgotten Jungle City. [reading list; see Letters and Politics interview]
- Lacan, Jaques. The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (1978). 1978 English language translation of the 1973 French language original text. [Wikipedia] [R0]
- Meaney, Thomas (2019), “Frantz Fanon and the CIA Man”, The American Historical Review 124(3): 983–995. [R0]
- Davis, Angela Y. Freedom Is A Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of A Movement.
- Williams, Jakobi. From the Bullet to the Ballot: The Illinois Chapter of the Black Panther Party and Racial Coalition Politics in Chicago. UNC Press Books. (28 FEB 2013) ISBN: 9781469608167. [R0]
- Keynes, John Maynard. The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Engels, Friedrich. The German revolutions: The Peasant War in Germany, and Germany: revolution and counter-revolution (Classic European historians). 1967 (textbook binding). [R0]
- Whitehead. A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State. 2013. [R0; via Guns and Butter]
- Lazzarato, Maurizio. Governing by Debt (Semiotext(e) / Intervention series). Semiotext(e) (23 JAN 2015) [reading list]
- Brzezinski, Zbigniew. The Grand Chessboard. 1997. [R0]
- Polanyi, Karl Paul. The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time. 1944. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Pollin, Robert. Greening the Global Economy. [R0]
- Taibbi, Matt. Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History. 2011. Spiegel & Grau; 8.7.2011 edition edition 6 SEP 2011 ISBN-10: 0385529961 ISBN-13: 978-0385529969 [R0]
- Bridges, G. (2002). Paper: “Grounding Globalization: The Prospects and Perils of Linking Economic Processes of Globalization to Environmental Outcomes“. Economic Geography. 78 (3): 361–86. doi:10.2307/4140814. JSTOR 4140814 [R0]
- Marx, Karl. Grundrisse: Foundations of the Critique of Political Economy.
- Camus, Albert. A Happy Death. 1971. Alfred A. Knopf. (1971, 1971) Vintage International. ISBN: 0-679-76400-3 [fiction]
- Best, Gary. Harold Laski and American Liberalism. 2017.
- Hunt, E.K. and Lautzenheiser, Mark. History of Economic Thought: A Critical Perspective, Third Edition. (2011) M.E. Sharpe [Taught at UMKC Economics Department circa 2013-2015 by Dr. John Henry.]
- Rodney, Walter with Foreword by Angela Davis. How Europe Underdeveloped Africa. 2018. Verso.
- Kendi, Ibram X. How to be an Anti-Racist. 13 AUG 2019
- Greenwald, Glenn. How Would a Patriot Act.
- Mises, Ludwig Heinrich Edler von. Human Action. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Rosenberg, Ross. The Human Magnet Trap: The Codependent Narcissist Trap. 2019. Morgan James Publishing N.Y. ISBN: 978-16835-0867-0 (pbk) ISBN: 978-06835-0868-7
- Rodriguez, Richard. Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez.
- Bacon, David. Illegal people: how globalization creates migration and criminalizes immigrants. 2008
- Dunbar-Ortiz, Roxanne. An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Krakauer, Jon. Into the Wild. 1996.
- Tubergen, Frank Van. Introduction to Sociology, 1st Edition. 2020. Routledge. [R0]
- Srnicek, Nick. Inventing the Future: Postcapitalism and a World Without Work. [R0]
- Murray, Michael J. and Mathew Forstater. The Job Guarantee: Toward True Full Employment. 2013. Palgrave Macmillan (7 JAN 2013) ISBN-10: 1137286105 ISBN-13: 978-1137286109 [Key MMT text.]
- Wapshott, Nicholas. Keynes Hayek: The Clash That Defined Modern Economics. [reading list; see Letters and Politics interview]
- Skidelsky, Robert. Keynes: The Return of the Master. [Key Post-Keynesian text.]
- Hudson, Michael. Killing the Host: How Financial Parasites and Debt Bondage Destroy the Global Economy. 2015. ISLET (20 AUG 2015) ISBN-10: 3981484282 ISBN-13: 978-3981484281
- Braverman, Harry. Labor and Monopoly Capital: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century; Foreword by Paul M. Sweezy, New Introduction by John Bellamy Foster, 25th Anniversary Edition. (1974; 1998) ISBN: 0-85345-940-1 [Taught in Judy Ancel’s UMKC Labor course series, circa 2013.]
- McCartin, Joseph A. Labor’s Great War: The Struggle for Industrial Democracy and the Origins of Modern American Labor Relations, 1912-21. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1997. ISBN 0-8078-4679-1 [R0]
- Bastiat, Frédéric. The Law. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Kennedy, Jr. Robert F. A Letter to Liberals: Censorship and COVID: An Attack on Science and American Ideals (Children’s Health Defense). 2 AUG 2022. Skyhorse. [R0]
- Hobbes, Thomas. Leviathan (full title: Leviathan or The Matter, Forme and Power of a Common Wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil). [NB: This is a neoclassical/quasi-right-wing perspective.]
- Loewen, James. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong. 1995 (First Edition). 2007 (Revised Edition). Touchstone; Revised edition 16 OCT 2007. ISBN-10: 0743296281 ISBN-13: 978-0743296281 [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Frank, Thomas. Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People? 2016. Metropolitan Books (15 MAR 2016) ISBN-10: 1627795391 ISBN-13: 978-1627795395 [R0]
- Leopold, Les. The Looting of America: How Wall Street’s Game of Fantasy Finance Destroyed Our Jobs, Pensions, and Prosperity—and What We Can Do about It. 2009. Chelsea Green Publishing (2 JUN 2009) ISBN-10: 1603582053 ISBN-13: 978-1603582056 [R0]
- Blumenthal, Max. The Management of Savagery. 2020. Verso. (20 JUL 2020) 9781788732307 [R0]
- Chomsky, Noam and Edward S. Herman. Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. 1988. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Lee, Frederic; edited with Tae-Hee Jo. Marx, Veblen, and the Foundations of Heterodox Economics: Essays in Honor of John F. Henry (2015). 2015. London: Routledge. ISBN: 9781138797796. Routledge Series in Advances in Heterodox Economics. [reading list]
- Hudis, Peter. Marx’s Concept of the Alternative to Capitalism (Historical Materialism Book series). [R0]
- Lee, Frederic S., edited by Tae-Hee Jo. Microeconomic Theory: A Heterodox Approach (2018). 2018. Routledge. ISBN: 9780415247313 (Hardback in 2018) 9781351265270 | ISBN:9780367356842 (Paperback in 2019). [eBook] [publisher website][flyer-with 20% discount code] [Request a review copy]
- Wilford, Hugh. The Mighty Wurlitzer: How the CIA Played America. [R0]
- Melville, Herman. Moby Dick. [R0]
- Mitchell, W.F., L. Randall Wray, Martin J. Watts. Modern Monetary Theory and Practice: An Introductory Text. 2016. Create Space Independent Publishing Platform (10 MAR 2016) ISBN-10: 1530338794 ISBN-13: 978-1530338795 [Key MMT text.]
- Wray, L. Randall. Modern Money Theory: A Primer on Macroeconomics for Sovereign Monetary Systems. 2012. Palgrave Macmillan (7 AUG 2012) ISBN-10: 0230368891 ISBN-13: 978-0230368897 [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.] [Key MMT text.]
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. The Modern World System. 1974.
- Godley, Wynne and Marc Lavoie. Monetary Economics: An Integrated Approach to Credit, Money, Income, Production and Wealth (Second Edition). [Key MMT text.]
- Friedman, Milton. A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960. [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Lehmann, Chris. The Money Cult: Capitalism, Christianity, and the Unmaking of the American Dream. 2016. [reading list]
- Alexander, Michelle. The New Jim Crow.
- Pilger, John. The New Rulers theWorld.the
- Ehrenreich, Barbara. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America. 2001.
- Greenwald, Glenn. No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State. 2014. [reading list]
- McAlevey, Jane. No Shortcuts: Organizing for Power in the New Gilded Age. 2016.
- Wolff, Richard D. Occupy the Economy: Challenging Capitalism.
- Sinclair, Upton. Oil! [reading list]
- Marcuse, Herbert. One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology of Advanced Industrial Society. [reading list]
- Mill, John Stuart. On Liberty. [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/quasi-right-wing perspective.]
- Ricardo, David. On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. 1817.
- Montesquieu, Charles Baron de. On the Spirit of Laws. 1748.
- Galeano, Eduardo. The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of A Continent, Foreword by Isabel Allende. 1973. Monthly Review Press. (1973, 1997) ISBN: 978-0-853-45991-0 (pbk ; alk. paper) ISBN: 978-0-85345-990-3 (cloth)
- Pepper, William. Orders to Kill.
- Stewart, Kathleen. Ordinary Affects. 2007. Duke University Press Books (20 SEP 2007) [reading list]
- Said, Edward. Orientalism. 1979. Vintage; 1st Vintage Books ed edition (12 OCT 1979)
- Reséndez, Andrés. The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America. 2016.
- Dinges, John. Our Man in Panama (Random House 1990). 1990. Regarding Manuel Noriega.
- McChesney, Robert and John Nichols. People Get Ready: The Fight Against a Jobless Economy and A Citizenless Democracy. [R0]
- Zinn, Howard. A People’s History of the United States. 1980. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
- Hegel. Phenomenology of Spirit. [R0]
- Camus, Albert. The Plague. 1948. Stuart Gilbert. (1948, 1975, 1991) Alfred A. Knopf; Vintage International ISBN: 0-679-72021-6 (pbk) [fiction]
- Mikovits, Dr. Judy and Kent Heckenlively, JD. Plague of Corruption: Restoring Faith in the Promise of Science. Foreword by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. Publisher: Skyhorse (April 14, 2020) Length: 272 pages Hardcover
- Pepper. The Plot to Kill King: The Truth Behind the Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. 2016.
- Roy, Arundati. Public Power in the Age of Empire.
- Morris, Monique W. Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools. 2016. [R0]
- Standng, Guy. The Precariat: The New Dangerous Class. [R0]
- McSherry, J. Patrice. Predatory States: Operation Condor and Covert War in Latin America. 2005. [R0]
- Stiglitz. Joseph. The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future. 2012. [R0]
- Machiavelli, Niccolò. The Prince. 1532.
- Weeks, Kathi. The Problem with Work: Feminism, Marxism, Antiwork Politics, and Postwork Imaginaries. 2011. Duke University Press Books (9 SEP 2011) [R0]
- Chomsky, Noam. Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and the Global Order.
- Huff, Mickey and Andy Lee Roth. Project Censored’s State of the Free Press 2023. 2022. Seven Stories Press.
- Desmet, Mattias. The Psychology of Totalitarianism. 23 JUN 2022. [hardcover] [audiobook]
- Franko, Patrice. The Puzzle of Latin American Development, Third Edition. 2007. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN-13: 978-0-7425-5353-1 ISBN-10: 0-7425-5353-1 [Taught at UMKC Economics Department circa 2013-2015]
- Johnstone, Diana. The Queen of Chaos: The Misadventures of Hillary Clinton. 2015. [R0]
- Said, Edward. The Question of Palestine. [R0]
- Shilliam, Robbie. Race and the Undeserving Poor: From Abolition to Brexit. 6 JUL 2018
- Fox Gotham, Kevin. Race, Real Estate, and Uneven Development: The Kansas City Experience, 1900-2000. 2002. State University of New York Press.
- Brick, Howard. Radicals In America: The U.S. Left Since the Second World War (Cambridge Essential Histories series). [R0]
- Perelman, Michael. Railroading Economics: The Creation of the Free Market Mythology. 2006. [R0]
- McAlevey, Jane F. Raising Expectations (and Raising Hell): My Decade Fighting for the Labor Movement. 2012.
- Kennedy, Jr., Robert F. The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health (Children’s Health Defense). 16 NOV 2021. Skyhorse.
- Gordon, Liahna E. Real Research: Research Methods Sociology Students Can Use. [R0]
- Plato. The Republic.
- Chomsky, Noam. Essay: The Responsibility of Intellectuals.
- Paul, Ronald Ernest “Ron”. The Revolution: A Manifesto. [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Engels, Friedrich. Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Germany. 1896 (1st book form edition).
- Federici, Silvia. Revolution at Point Zero: Housework, Reproduction, and Feminist Struggle. [R0]
- INCITE! Women of Color Against Racism (editor). The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex. 2009. South End Press (1 MAR 2009, unknown edition). ISBN-10: 0896087662 ISBN-13: 978-0896087668 [R0]
- Bacon, David. The right to stay home: how US policy drives Mexican migration. 2013
- Paine, Thomas. Rights of Man.
- Gordon, Robert J. The Rise and Fall of American Growth: The U.S. Standard of Living Since the Civil War (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World series). [R0]
- Dale Scott, Peter. The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future ofAmerica. [audiobook]
- Hayek, Friedrich August von. The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents (The Definitive Edition). [NB: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Alinsky, Saul David. Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals. 1971. [R0]
- Leopold, Les. Runaway Inequality: An Activist’s Guide to Economic Justice. The Labor Institute Press 28 OCT 2015 ISBN-10: 0692436308 ISBN-13: 978-0692436301 [R0]
- Bills, E.R.. The San Marcos 10: An AntiWar Protest In Texas.
- Kozol, Jonathan. Savage Inequalities: Children in America’s Schools. 1991. [required reading, i.e., you must read this]
- Locke, John. The Second Treatise of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration.
- Talbot, David. The Season of the Witch: Enchantment, Terror and Deliverance in the City of Love. 2012. The Free Press; reprint edition 8 MAY 2012
- Klein, Naomi. The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. 2007.
- Kolbert, Elizabeth. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History. 2014. [R0]
- Edited by Frederic S. Lee, Wiley-Blackwell. Social Costs of Markets and Economic Theory. Social Costs of Markets and Economic Theory. January 2014. ISBN: 978-1-118-86940-6 (hardcover), 978-1-118-86938-3 (paperback). | [website] [R0]
- Mosler, Warren. Soft Currency Economics II. [MMT text.]
- Lebowitz, Michael. The Socialist Imperative: From Gotha to Now. [R0]
- Hancock, Ange-Marie. Solidarity Politics for Millennials: A Guide to Ending the Oppression Olympics. [R0]
- Johnson, Chalmers. The Sorrows of Empire [reading list; cited by Peter Dale Scott in The Road to 9/11]
- Ness, Immanuel. Southern Insurgency: The Coming of the Global Working Class. 15 NOV 2015 [R0]
- Pickett, Kate. The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better. 2009. [R0; see Against the Grain interview]
- Ellman, Michael. Discussion Article: Stalin and the Soviet Famine of 1932 – 33 Revisited. 2007. Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 59, No. 4, June 2007, 663-693. Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group). [R0]
- Edele, Mark. Stalinist Society 1928-1953. 2011. Oxford Histories. Oxford University Press.
- Minsky, Hyman Philip. Stabilizing an Unstable Economy. [Key MMT text.]
- Bookchin, Murray. State Capitalism in Russia. 1950. Contemporary Issues 7, Autumn 1950 (under pseudonym M. S. Shiloh). [R0]
- Howard, M.C. & J.F. King. ‘State Capitalism’ in the Soviet Union. History of Economics Review, 110-126. [R0]
- Rothkopf, David. The Superclass: The Global Power Elite and the World They Are Making. 2008. Farrar, Strauss, and Giroux. (MAR 2008) [R0]
- Hudson, Michael. Super Imperialism: The Origins and Fundamentals of U.S. World Dominance.
- Brown, Elaine. A Taste of Power: A Black Woman’s Story. 1993. Anchor Books 1 DEC 1993. ISBN-10: 0385471076 ISBN-13: 978-0385471077 [R0]
- Wray, L. Randall. Theories of Money and Banking (International Library of Critical Writings in Economics series). . [Key MMT text.]
- Veblen, Thorstein. The Theory of the Leisure Class, Introduction by C. Wright Mills. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools. Taught at UMKC Economics Department, course on Institutional economics, circa 2013-2015, by Prof. Jim Sturgeon.]
- Smith, Adam. The Theory of Moral Sentiments. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.] [Key history of economic theory text.]
- Kahneman, Daniel. Thinking, Fast and Slow. 2011. [R0]
- Twiss, Thomas M. Trotsky and the Problem of Soviet Bureaucracy. [R0] Worldcat: “In Trotsky and the Problem of Soviet Bureaucracy, Thomas M. Twiss traces the development of Trotsky’s thinking on the issue of post-revolutionary bureaucracy from the first years after the Bolshevik Revolution through the Moscow Trials of the 1930s.”
- Friedman, Milton and Rose Friedman. The Tyranny of the Status Quo. [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Scheer, Robert. They Know Everything About You: How Data-Collecting Corporations and Snooping Government Agencies Are Destroying Democracy. 2015. Nation Books (2015). [R0]
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher. Uncle Tom’s Cabin. 1852.
- Foley, Duncan K. Understanding Capital: Marx’s Economic Theory. [R0]
- Bennis, Phyllis. Understanding ISIS and the New Global War On Terror: A Primer. [R0]
- Wray, L. Randall. Understanding Modern Money: The Key to Full Employment and Price Stability. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.] [Key MMT text.]
- Newton, Michael. Unsolved Civil Rights Murder Cases, 1934-1970. 14 JAN 2016 ASIN : B01B6KV0ME. ISBN: 9780786498956, 0786498951 [R0]
- Rand, Ayn. The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism. 1964 [NB: This is, obviously, a neoclassical/right-wing perspective with surprisingly flimsy philosophical arguments given its hyperbolic influence on the Right.]
- Hedges, Chris. Wages of Rebellion: The Moral Imperative of Revolt. [R0]
- Schoup, Laurence H. Wall Street’s Think Tank: The Council On Foreign Relations and the Empire of Neoliberal Geopolitics, 1976-2014. 2015. Monthly Review Press 22 AUG 2015 ISBN-10: 1583675515 ISBN-13: 978-1583675519 [R0]
- Halper, Jeff. War Against the People: Israel, Palestinians and Global Pacification. [R0]
- Scott, Peter Dale. The War Conspiracy: JFK, 9/11, and the Deep Politics of War. 2013. Skyhorse Publishing; 1 edition 3 SEP 2013 ISBN-10: 1626360952 ISBN-13: 978-1626360952 [R0]
- Smith, Adam. The Wealth of Nations (full title: An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations). 1776. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.]
[Key history of economic theory text.]
- Kennedy, Jr. Robert F. The Wuhan Cover-Up: How US Health Officials Conspired with the Chinese Military to Hide the Origins of COVID-19 (Children’s Health Defense). 14 FEB 2023. [R0]
- Anderson, Carol. White Rage: The Unspoken Truth About Our Racial Divide. 31 MAY 2016 [R0]
- Eddo-Lodge, Reni. Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race. 1 JUN 2017 [R0]
- Wray, L. Randall. Why Minsky Matters. [Key MMT text.]
- Friedman, Milton. Why the Government is the Problem (Essays in Public Policy series). 1993. Hoover Institution Press (1 FEB 1993) ISBN-10: 0817954422 ISBN-13: 978-0817954420 [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Robinson J., Nathan. Why You Should Be a Socialist. (10 DEC 2019) [preview]
- Lordon, Frederic. Willing Slaves to Capital: Spinoza and Marx on Desire. [R0]
- Grauerholz, James and Silverberg, Ira. The William S. Burroughs Reader, Introduction by Ann Douglas. Grove Press N.Y. (1998) ISBN: 0-8021-3694-X
- Greenwald, Glenn. With Liberty and Justice for Some. [R0]
- Morris, Richard B. Witnesses at the Creation: Hamilton, Madison, Jay, and the Constitution. Henry Holt & Co; 1st edition (1 SEP 1985) [R0]
- Kissinger, Henry. World Order. [N.B.: This is a neoclassical/right-wing perspective.]
- Heilbroner, Robert L. The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times, and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers. [This book deserves to be required reading in schools.] [Key history of economic theory text.]
- Fanon, Frantz. The Wretched of the Earth.
[3 MAR 2016]
[Last modified/edited/updated on 04 JAN 2023 at 07:25 PST]